If, like me, you are wondering how to justify all the Christmas presents you want for yourself let alone all the items you should really be buying for everyone else, take a leaf out of my book and think of it as a 2017 Stylish Mother Survival List.
I'm currently on maternity leave from British Vogue, with minimal childcare and maximum need for clever dressing. I want to feel good. I refuse to give in just because I have been up all night with a teething baby or a tricky two year old. Since moving to the country my line every morning is 'would I wear it in London?'. If the answer is 'no' I go back to the drawing board immediately. A lick of mascara and a brush of your hair everyday is imperative.
Here are a few helpful hints for your Christmas wish list (and some foolproof beauty saviours I rely on) which will see you beyond the buzz of the festive season and well into 2017 with very little guilt attached. No fleeting trends, just great, simple, real life style.
1. Vans Old Skool skater shoes, £52 vans.co.uk
2. Chinti & Parker cashmere, £325 ('Oh Yeah') netaporter.com
3. Ganni, Harrison scalloped top, £115 netaporter.com
4. COS, Hooded Parka coat, £175 cosstores.com
5. GUCCI, Tiger earrings, £310 matchesfashion.com
6. Marks & Spencer, Archive by Alexa Lovell blouse, £35 marksandspencer.com
7. TIBI Anson wide leg crepe trousers, £370 matchesfashion.com
8. Benefit Gimme Brow, £18.50 boots.com
9. Darphin Soothing Chamomile Oil, darphin.co.uk
10. MIU MIU embellished Mary Jane pumps £690 netaporter.com